When you are living in an area as busy and populated as Chicagoland, you have to be just as careful walking on a sidewalk as when you are driving a car. Pedestrian traffic accidents can leave victims with severe and life altering injuries. These can include injuries to your head or neck, spinal cord (including paralysis), broken or fractured bones, or even the loss of an entire limb. Sadly, given that pedestrians are fully exposed at the time they are struck by a vehicle and lack protections such as seatbelts or airbags, these accidents can also be fatal.
According to the Centers for Disease Control:
- There is a pedestrian accident every 2 hours in the U.S.
- Pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to be killed in a traffic collision than a driver or passenger of a motor vehicle
- Persons 65 years old or older account for 20 % of all fatal accidents
- For children between the ages of 5 and 15, being struck by a car is the number one cause for a fatal motor vehicle collision
- Alcohol or drug impairment is involved in 48% of all incidents involving an auto v. pedestrian collision resulting in injury or death.
What are some of the more common causes of automobiles colliding with pedestrians?
Drivers end up hitting pedestrians for a number of reasons including the following:
- Talking on Cell Phones
- Running Red Lights
- Running Stop Signs
- Inattentive/distracted driving
- Drunk Driving
Why is it important to consult legal counsel promptly following a pedestrian traffic crash?
After a traumatic event like a pedestrian traffic crash, you may be frazzled and not thinking clearly. Unfortunately, the steps you take in these early moments and days are critical to supporting your claim against the at-fault driver.
As with all injury cases, you, as the injured victim, have the burden of establishing the negligent conduct of a driver caused the crash and your injuries. At Fiorentino Law Offices, we deal with Chicago accident cases every day and we take the necessary steps right from the beginning to preserve the most important evidence and create the strongest case for our clients involved in pedestrian accidents
We’ll do all of the following so that you can concentrate on your recovery:
- Ordering medical records and bills
- Taking the legal steps to obtain and preserve recorded video or audio recordings of the incident from nearby surveillance equipment
- Photographing the scene of an accident
- Obtaining witness statements
- Calculating wage loss information related to injuries
- Handle all communications with your health insurance company seeking subrogation payment from a case.
- Handle all communications with the at-fault driver’s insurance.
At Fiorentino Law Offices, we understand that your primary goal after going through such trauma is to focus on your physical and mental recovery. Let Our experienced pedestrian crash attorneys focus on all of the other details, like getting your medical bills paid and covered, making sure you do not suffer financially through any lost wages, and making sure any future medical treatment relating to your injury will be paid for.
Free legal consultations for injured pedestrians with respected Chicago accident lawyers
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a pedestrian-related traffic injury in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs, you may be entitled to recover for your injuries. The Chicago pedestrian accident attorneys at Fiorentino Law Offices have represented pedestrians in all types of personal injury matters with cars, trucks, motorcyles and commercial vehicles. Contact our office for a free evaluation of your case from an experienced injury attorney.